Thursday, June 13, 2013

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

WOWZIE!    Between Shades of Gray by Ruth Sepetys
2013-2014 Iowa Teen Award nominee~

Summary from Amazon.com:

Fifteen-year-old Lina is a Lithuanian girl living an ordinary life--until Soviet officers invade her home and tear her family apart. Separated from her father and forced onto a crowded train, Lina, her mother, and her young brother make their way to a Siberian work camp, where they are forced to fight for their lives. Lina finds solace in her art, documenting these events by drawing. Risking everything, she imbeds clues in her drawings of their location and secretly passes them along, hoping her drawings will make their way to her father's prison camp. But will strength, love, and hope be enough for Lina and her family to survive?

My 25 cents:
First of all, I am not a fan of historical fiction.  I usually am bored or feel like I need to go learn about the time or event they are talking about and then read the story (okay, because truth be told, I was not a great history student??!).  So I was not planning on liking this book because I knew it was historical fiction (based on the Author's extended family's real events).  But--I COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN.  I read it in two days-338 pages.  The story is AMAZING and in a way so sad because these things really happened in our world.  The strength of the main character (15 years old) and her younger brother is remarkable and kept making me stop and think "could I have survived that? would I have thought to do that?".  I think this is a FABULOUS book for older elementary, high school students and even adults!  

1 comment:

  1. I was so impressed with this book and deeply appreciative of it bringing to light a less-known historical event. Everything during WWII always does seem to be focused on the Nazis with maybe a little bit about the war near Japan. I'd never read any fiction about these horrors in the Baltic states.

    Marlene Detierro (Local SEO San Antonio)



    ReplyDelete