Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wonder by P.J. Palacio

cover_image

Book description from Amazon.com:
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse. 
August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. 

My 25 cents:
This was one of the best books for teens I have read so far!!  I can't say enough about this book for older elementary and middle schoolers (and parents too!!).  This book is about inner beauty and acceptance and why it matters to everyone. The main character, Auggie, is a strong, independent 5th grader heading to school for the first time-after being home-schooled up until now.  He just wants to be one of the guys but has to work extra hard to find those that will accept him despite his facial appearance.  One thing I thought was really cool about this book (though I know there are students who will argue with me this point....) is readers never do get to "see" what his face looks like.  It's not important--what is important is the question "could you be friends with Auggie despite his appearance"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment