Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Back to School!
It's not that I haven't been reading...it's just that I have been reading MY textbooks and articles for my UNI graduate classes! Right now though, for fun--I have working on Ruined by Paula Morris, another

Ruined by Paula Morris 
Iowa Teen award nominee for 2012-2013.  (I am more than halfway through it so I will wait to give my "25 cents" on it.)

Here though, is a look at the complete list of nominees for 2012-2013.   Remember, if you read at least two books on the Iowa Children's Choice list (ICCA) or the Iowa Teen Award list (ITA) you can cast your vote in April for your favorite.  Votes from students all across Iowa are tallied and one book from each list will be declared a winner--by students just like you.  (Grades 3-6 can vote in Children's Choice and Grades 5-8 can vote for Iowa Teen award.)

Finished it!  
Book description from Amazon.com:
A gripping supernatural mystery and romance set in post-Katrina New Orleans.
Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans. She's staying in a creepy house with her aunt, who reads tarot cards. And at the snooty prep school, a pack of filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey gives Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda.  Then one night, among the oak trees in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to show Rebecca the nooks and crannies of New Orleans. There's just one catch.  Lisette is a ghost.

My 25 cents...
Okay, I am going to be honest...I had a difficult time getting into this story, in the beginning.  
Then, I was drawn in and couldn't stop reading.  Also, I am not normally a fan of historical fiction, I did enjoy learning more about the famous Lafayette Cemetery in New Orleans. This was not in my opinion a scary ghost story either, more...intriguing I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment